Monday, June 14, 2010

Chinese Buffet at Ma Yalan, Binondo






the vegetables, tofu and pancit on my plate


some of the dishes in the buffet



Today I met my foodmates (Pinoy Frugal Chowhounds) for buffet lunch at Ma Yalan Restaurant. It's a small, homey-looking restaurant in the area, recently opened and staffed with friendly people enthusiastic about sharing all sorts of treats and goodies for the hungry diner. Their buffet, costing only P160/head, is open daily from 11am-2pm.

There were around 10 dishes plus one gelatin drink. They had two different dishes of tofu (one being very spicy- they got it from a Taiwanese cookbook), pancit (quite delicious and with a delicate taste), chopsuey-style vegetables (I liked that it's not overcooked!), steamed fish, chicken curry, lumpiang shanghai (this is really great!) and squid rings. Over all it was a satisfying meal, though the fish could've been fresher.

The owner was also very friendly, and made us try some of their specialties, their mami and siopao. The chicken mami goes with a brown sauce- you have to dip your mami there before eating it and sipping the soup. Turns out that they were using the recipe of R. Ma Mon Luk, hence the awesome taste of their siopao. Ma Mon Luk is really my favorite siopao in all of Manila, truly a comfort food! The owner of Ma Yalan is a descendant of R. Ma Mon Luk.



the chicken mami, one of their specialties


I ordered one whole jumbo siopao for myself, for P65. It has salted egg, chicken and chorizon inside. There's something truly addictive about the taste for me.



the special siopao! my all-time favorite



the excellent gulaman for dessert


here's us; that's me in the yellow top. The owner is the lady in green standing behind the table.



MA
-YALAN Restaurant is at 839 Salazar St. Binondo Manila

No comments:

Post a Comment